HealthWare Systems Blog
How to Choose a Digital Order Management Solution
In our last post, we outlined how a healthcare organization can benefit from implementing a Digital Order Management (DOM) Solution. Let’s say we convinced you of the merits and you’re ready to jump in. Where do you start?
We know that adopting new technology is never easy, especially when it involves critical data such as patient documentation. When evaluating whether a DOM system is right for your healthcare facility, we recommend that you think about the following:
• Your Needs: To determine what you need a DOM solution to do, you should start by taking a look at your current procedures. What paper processes are already in place? How are they working? Where can you improve? Even if you have computerized physician order entry (CPOE) or other electronic medical records initiatives in place, are there other areas where you still manage communications and documentation manually? If so, what are they? If you automate these, will it simplify your operations? Make sure the DOM solution you select meets your particular needs.
• Your Goals: When you think about the six benefits of DOM platform, which one speaks the loudest to you? Do you want to create a centralized system? Ensure easy access and distribution of patient information? Eliminate the risk of data loss or miscoding? Increase department efficiency? Facilitate financial auditing and HIPPA compliance reporting? Promote a coordinated treatment approach? Prioritize your goals according to your needs, and choose the DOM solution that will best help you accomplish these goals.
• Your Costs: A study by financial advisory firm Duff & Phelps found that claim processing errors cost $17 billion per year, and the costs continue to rise. Do you know what your paper processes — and errors — are costing you? Have you considered not just the actual dollar costs, but also the softer costs (such as time spent, quality of patient care, etc.)? You should consider all of these costs when weighing the long-term financial value of implementing a DOM platform. Can the system you choose help you lower your costs and become more efficient?
These aren’t the only three things to think about, though. Perhaps the most important consideration is your vision. When you implement a DOM system, you need to partner with a provider who not only understands your needs, goals and costs, but also shares your vision. The qualities of a good DOM solution provider are:
• One who has a proven track record of success
• One who offers solutions that integrate with your current environment and applications
• One who respects your budget
• One who will listen to and discuss your ideas, rather than try to fit you into their product
At the end of the day, you need to work with a provider whose products and service allow you to focus on providing exceptional patient care.
If you want to learn more about how to select the right provider of your Digital Order Management Solution, download HealthWare Systems’ eBook, Digital Order Management – Is it Right for Your Healthcare Organization?